Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Go Carolina Gamecocks! Altered Tin with Magnets

My middle child and oldest daughter, Emily, was home this past weekend from her Freshman year of college at University of South Carolina.  (I MISS HER TERRIBLY!)  I mentioned that I bet she was tired of all the Gamecock “stuff” and she answered that she really didn’t HAVE any Gamecock “stuff!”  (whaaat???) 

So I had a little fun making her a special set of magnets for her dorm room message board.  I repurposed a tin that some Stampin Up accessories had come in and decorated the outside with Cherry Cobbler and Basic Black card stock.  The designs with the Gamecock images are some graphics that I use with my bottlecap necklaces.  I cut the images into one inch circles and apply the to the back of 1” glass circles.(These same glass pieces can be used to create some pretty necklaces or earrings too!)  To apply the graphics to the glass, I use Crystal Effects from Stampin Up.  I cover the glass and apply the graphic piece then coat the outside of the paper with Crystal Effects also to protect it.

Once the Crystal Effects was completely dry (overnight), I attached a magnet using E6000 glue.)  The magnets keep them in place in the tin and look super cute! 

Of course I wouldn’t want to give a gift without a card so I also created a matching card to go with the gift.  For those of you NOT from South Carolina, the Palmetto tree and moon image is on our state flag and is a popular image to show our pride in being Carolina girls!  I used the stamp set, “Plant Hope,” from Stampin Up, for the tree and a moon image from the new Halloween set, “Out on a Limb.”  I cut out letters using the Big Shot and that’s it!  Easy Peasy!

Now, let’s just hope she’s STUDYING!

Carla Brasher, Manager
cjbrasher@aol.com
http://www.thesouthernstamper.com/

To Shop online 24/7, Click HERE

*The Southern Stamper has a Facebook Page – Become a fan of The Southern Stamper and receive notifications of classes, projects and promotions. There are links on the facebook page that are not shared here so don’t miss out!

5 comments:

Cathy Parlitsis said...

Awesome job, Carla! I love it!
I miss my kids too!!! It's not easy letting them go. I bet she loved her "goodies!"

Carol Carriveau said...

Totally fabulous idea - hope she gets lots of compliments on mom's handiwork!

Amanda said...

How do you do those designs do you have a program to get all those cute fonts and polka dot back grounds? I have been toying in word but can't seem to make stuff that small.

Brenda said...

These are very cool! I bet your daughter loved them! Back in the 70's my Aunt and Uncle had a magnetic printing sign shop in Conway SC. My cousins and I use to paint the GameCock signs all the time. lol We said that we hated doing it, but I acually liked painting them. lol Oh to be 14 again!

Brenda said...

These are very cool! I bet your daughter loved them! Back in the 70's my Aunt and Uncle had a magnetic printing sign shop in Conway SC. My cousins and I use to paint the GameCock signs all the time. lol We said that we hated doing it, but I acually liked painting them. lol Oh to be 14 again!