Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Shake it all you want -- You'll never guess what's inside!

Now I know there's some DARLING little gift card holders out there and heaven knows I've made a few (copying someone else's cool design of course!) but the thing that I DON'T like about them is that the "giftee" already knows what it is BEFORE they even open it. Totally ruins those last few days of the Christmas week when everybody's peeking in closets and shaking their presents trying to figure out what it's inside! Now I hate surprises if I know they're coming TO ME but I LOVE to torment a teenager! So, today's little project is all about FOOLING your gift recipients! The box above is actually a gift card holder but looks like something else. I used the shaker card technique to decorate the box.

Check out the inside of this nifty box.

Yippee, my son will say! See, he was thinking it was a duct tape wallet or something else ridiculous that is so NOT on his wish list! Here's the low-down:

Follow the basic directions in the post below to make a box using these dimensions:

Box Base: 8-1/4" x 9-1/2", Score at 2-1/2". Assemble bottom using Sticky Strip.

Hint: Use a heavier weight card stock like the Designer paper shown which is To The Nines DSP.

Box Insert: 7-1/4" x 8-1/2", Score at 2". This is the part that the gift card "sits" in. I used the slit punch to make the little slits that hold the card in. YES, it punched through the tabs too but you can't see it. Score it and remove the four corner squares. This piece just slides down into the box. (No need for sticky strip.)

Box Top: 5-3/8" x 6-5/8", Score at 1". Assemble the top just like you did the bottom. Here's where you can get creative and add embellishments or "fancy treatments." I basically made a shaker card for my box top. Here's another example...

I hope you have fun with these boxes. Wouldn't they make a neat way to give jewelry or a family recipe even?

7 comments:

inyoureyes said...

I love this!! I was just getting ready to try and come up with a nifty gift card holder for my son, this is perfect!! I love to trick him... he thinks he knows it all! LOL!!!

monikastamp said...

Thanks for sharing! These are great boxes and I love the shaker tops. It reminds me of some boxes that I have for wrapping gifts but I love them so much I only use them for my family so I'll get them all back once the gift has been opened. Mine have snowmen on them. Now I have the idea of how to make more.
Monika Davis

Tammy Mendiola said...

Very cool! My nieces and nephew all want gift cards this year - but, like you, I hate that they'll know what it is before they open it. This is a great idea! TFS!

Kelly said...

Congratulations! I just wanted you to know that your project will appear on the Yahoo Group Late Night Stamper’s blog finds of the day for December 17. Want to receive your own copy of the blog finds of the day? Join us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/stampinuplnstampers/ or visit our Blog Finds of the Day Blog at http://blogfindsoftheday.blogspot.com.

Susan Mac Donald said...

thanks for sharing the measurements; so often I need a larger box, but not too large---this is perfect! Happy Holidays!

Carey said...

What a wonderful idea. I hate giving gift cards because they always know what they are. This will work. Now I have to get busy and make a bunch of these.

Carey Rogers
aka Roscoe's mommy

Sage said...

Clever design, a great idea for gift cards.