Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Make your own embellishments

Today's post is a card I made without stamps because I was experimenting with making embellishments. I was inspired by Michelle Wooderson, (you can check her out on her blog, "Mish Mash" here), who has created some amazing designs using ribbons and buttons. The ribbon and button technique shown here is her design and I adore it!

I used punches to create the various layers and especially enjoyed playing with the NEW PUNCH that will be released in the upcoming catalog on July 1 called "Modern Label Punch." These layers would work really well for gift tags, cards like the one shown, embellishments on scrapbook pages or gifts. The possibilities are endless!

To create the embellishments on the card shown,

  • I punched three separate pieces of the Modern Label Punch and the Scalloped Square punch. The Scalloped Square was adhered to the Modern Label using Snail Adhesive.
  • Using a paper piercer, I punched holes in each end of each Modern Label and inserted a brad. I did not need to trim the "legs" of the brads in this case.
  • On two of the squares, I punched out 1" circles from DSP and adhered with Snail Adhesive.
  • On the middle square, I used a clear button, ribbon and linen thread.

  • To create the button and thread embellishment, I threaded the linen thread through the button and tied it around the ribbon. (See the pictures below)







Try this cool ribbon embellishment technique and come up with a few of your own! I would love to see yours!


Paper: Certainly Celery, Almost Amethyst, Pink Pirouette Card Stock(RETIRING! NO LONGER AVAILABLE! To purchase Pink Pirouette, you can still get 12x12 Textured In-Color Paper while supplies last until June 30), Bella Birds DSP (ALSO RETIRING! NOT AVAILABLE AFTER JUNE 30!)

Cool Tools: Scallop Edge Punch, Square Scallop Punch, Modern Label Punch (Available July 1), 1" Circle Punch, Paper Piercer, White Signo Uni-Bal Gel Pen (faux stitching)

Embellishments: RIBBON GROSGRAIN STRIPED PINK PIROUETTE 5/8" (RETIRING - NOT AVAILABLE AFTER JUNE 30 - NOW 25% OFF), Linen Thread, Soft Subtles Brads, Clear Buttons, Hidden Garden Rub-Ons (RETIRING - NOT AVAILABLE AFTER JUNE 30 - NOW 50% OFF!)
**********************************************************
DON'T FORGET!! Reserve your FREE 2009-2010 Idea Book and Catalog by sending me an email at cjbrasher@aol.com. ($6.00 shipping costs, free pick-up or free with online order)
**********************************************************
**********************************************************

3 comments:

Carol Matthews said...

Really cute ideas Carla - very creative! It would make wonderful hostess gifts too, besides making beautiful cards. I think it would be a great class idea.
Sincerely,
Carol

laurie said...

Such a cute idea!

Lynn said...

Love your layered button! Maybe it will get me to use some of mine up now. ;-)